Whilst reliability comes down to several things; we are going to show you the facts that you should know about the ford mustang and hopefully show you how reliable the car that is fondly known as America’s sweet pony could be.
Deciding whether are Ford mustangs reliable cars for you can be complicated, with so many different models produced over the years, it can be hard to choose. Our focus in this article is on the later models, namely the fifth and sixth generation Mustangs (2005-present) mainly due to the sheer number of improvements made that caters to the modern sports car enthusiast in you.
Who doesn’t like a car with all the latest gizmos and gadgets, right?
Are ford Mustangs Reliable?
Statistically, they are a very reliable car. Relatively affordable, the Ford Mustang can last for a very long provided that proper maintenance and driving techniques are observed.
Drive the car hard, or install modifications that the whole system cannot cope with, then you significantly reduce the reliability of the vehicle. Let’s go know the details
Factors to consider for reliability
The reliability of the Ford Mustang is graded using a scorecard range on the overall performance of the car, from the engine to the body. The scorecard range usually scores from below average, to average, to well above average. The focus is on the following issues that may arise:
- Whether it is a turbocharger or a naturally aspirated engine
- The durability of all the engine parts and the possibility of replacement
- How durable the radiator is and whether there are overheating issues as time goes on
- Whether the cooling fan, water pump, thermostat need replacement after a specific time
- And lastly, whether there are any fuel, oil, or fluid leaks over time.
- How well the transmission holds up after a few years and whether the car needs clutch replacements
- Whether the gears still engage smoothly and correctly over time
- Are there any leaks and if the car is digitalized, does the transmission sensor and computer still work
The Drive System
- The durability of the driveshaft and whether it fails after a certain number of years or distance
- Clicking or knocking noises indicating a bad CV joint over time
- Any electrical failure
- Loss of traction control
- Whether the car begins to lose emission control over time even with a good service and maintenance record
- The durability of the fuel injection system, the fuel pump, and the fuel gauge
- Failure of the battery and battery system, spark plugs, ignition, starter-alternator, and basically anything electrical in the ford mustang over a certain period of time
Climate System and Exhaust
- Any problems with the air conditioner system despite proper maintenance over time.
- How quickly the exhaust system starts to show problems such as leakages and broken pipes
Suspension and Steering System
- The durability of the steering wheel and system and whether any leaks present themselves
- How often do the shocks need to be replaced?
- Whether the car needs wheel alignment and balance after a short period of time.
- And of cause how well the braking system holds up and how often they need to be changed.
- The durability of the exterior and interior paint and how quickly rust and peeling starts to appear
- Whether any water or air leaks and unsettling vibrations, knocks, or squeaks start to appear over time
- The durability of the windows, doors, seatbelts, locking system, and seats
- How quickly the wipers, tire pressure, charging ports, the horn, washers, warning lights interior and exterior lights might need replacement.
- And lastly how durable the interior electronics such as the audio system are.
Ford mustang generation by the year
All in all the Mustang has had six generations of cars, and we list them down briefly below;
- First Generation Mustang (1964-1973)
- Second Generation Mustang (1974-1978)
- Third Generation Mustang (1970-1993)
- Fourth Generation Mustang (1994-2004)
- Fifth Generation Mustang(2005-2014)
- Sixth Generation Mustang (2015-Present)
Of all these generations no other Mustang has sold as much as the first generation 1966 Mustang. It sold 607,568 models in a single year, and the 1966 Ford Mustang still holds the record as the most Mustangs sold during a single year.
Best used ford Mustang years to pick for reliability
Ford Mustang had its best years in the first, fifth, and sixth-generation models. If buying a new Ford Mustang is still a bit beyond your reach, don’t fret, there are previously used models that will give you a reliable Mustang at a reasonable price.
For reliability the following cars were rated the best by consumers;
2011 Ford Mustang
- From performance, comfort, and quality to features, safety, and reliability, this Mustang is one of the best models that Ford has put out.
- Statistically fares well in the long run on the nine reliability factors.
- Built for the consumer who has stability, speed, and comfort in mind, this is one of the most reliable Ford Mustang models you can find.
2014 Ford Mustang
This model ticks most of the boxes on the reliability checker. In a well-balanced, high-performing car there is little buyer’s remorse with this model.
2020 and 2021 Ford Mustang
These latest models are Ford’s most remarkable achievements to date in terms of reliability. With most of the issues, reliability issues addressed, the 2021 model has evolved the Mustang into a high-performing reliable sports car.
Mustang years to avoid
The worst thing you can do for yourself is to buy the 2015 and 2016 Ford Mustang model. They scored very low on the reliability scorecard with various issues ranging from leaks, transmission to problematic door latches.
Some of the problems were quite serious that they had to recall the cars. Of the fifth and sixth-generation models, these are not the most reliable Ford Mustangs at all.
So the answer to the question is Ford Mustangs reliable is a definite yes! The longevity of the car brand points to reliability; there is no way a car first made in 1964 would still be popular in 2021 if it were not reliable. Just make sure you do your homework and find out which model works best for you.
Hello, I am William K. Barnes. I am someone you will find as a passionate and dedicated person towards vehicles. I still remember the days I used to be disappointed with products after buying. I never had a proper guide, to begin with.
I created the AutoKitsHub team, so you don’t have to suffer any problems I faced. Our crew doesn’t comprise anything when it comes to choosing the best product for you.
If you’re your car, you will be impressed with the reviews we have on our website. We work for days just to make our life a bit easier.